22 July 2013

A lovely concept with great execution

On Friday night like a real granny and grandpa couple Josh and I went to the movies. Well, I wanted to go and I dragged Josh along, bribing him with  popcorn and slush puppies. We arrived just in time to miss both the movies we wanted to see... But on the plus side- that gave us time to eat :):):) 

While walking around, once again deciding/ arguing about what to eat we walk past "Joe's Easy Diner". I know it sounds corny but I am the biggest fan of a good burger and I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong era... If you had to see me dance, I know you would agree...


 I'm trying to be healthy but I'll any excuse to cheat, it's not difficult to convince me, and let's be honest... Who can resist that fantastic '60s music?? The whole place is put together so well and fits its theme perfectly. I mean it felt so real I almost forgot I was in a mall and felt a tiny pang of disappointment when our waiter wasn't on roller skates.

Anyway we soon found out that they have a great movie and burger special, and after seeing their milkshakes(which come in the jugs they are made in and are more than big enough to share) I couldn't resist getting one too.

1 Jug = 2 Glasses plus a little extra to fight over

Our milkshake came first, and after great difficulty in choosing one of the very very many flavours we went with the waiters recommendation- Peanut Butter... I don't even know how to describe it using words, it was just so good. I mean it was so good I didn't put the glass down until it was empty and then I almost had to fight Josh for the last little bit in the jug. By far the creamiest milkshake I have had in all recent history.


Look how thick and creamy it is
Then came our burger... Our terrifyingly gigantic burger...

Biggest cheese burger I have ever attempted to eat

Our terrifyingly gigantic burger with a huge bowl of golden chunky fries. It was heaven!


The patties were juicy and delicious and cooked to absolute perfection, and there was a really tasty, possibly mustardy sauce on the burger. All the ingredients were fresh and the cheese even tasted cheesy (strange huh?). 

Juicy and delicious
To top it all of they have yellow mustard, like the real good old stuff, and Heinz ketchup. Mmmmm, and yes in this case it is definitely ketchup not tomato sauce.



Also, the cool drinks are bottomless!

Anyway I know I shouldn't be this excited about a 'fast food' restaurant, but I just love the concept of this place. It was such a great, vibey experience.

The wall says things like- If you can find a better diner eat there, If it doesn't make you proud don't serve it to the crowd and eat here once and you'll always return


From the friendly waiters, to the music, decorations and sayings on the walls, to the AMAZING milkshakes and burgers- it was an all round good experience and I will definitely be going back. I only wish it wasn't in the middle of a mall...



3 comments:

  1. Yes, i have been there once, had the breakfast burger and wow, it was amazing! I have to go back and find out about this movie combo and of course to try the Peanut butter shake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Gemma is a girl after my own heart Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it Coldplayer! You definately won't regret it :) The movie special is R99.00 for a movie ticket, a burger, chips and a cooldrink. Really worth it!

    ReplyDelete