3 October 2013

The Foodbarn

OK, I know I'm back tracking BIG time here, but Braai Day was just so amazing I had to write about it IMMEDIATELY, and my Foodbarn experience was so fabulous(as always) that I couldn't just not write about it.

So as I promised, here is my report on what I must say was an absolutely incredible birthday celebration at Franck Dangereux's beautiful restaurant "The Foodbarn" in Noordhoek.

Yes, I am a birthday person. I love love love birthdays. Your birthday, my birthday, or even your uncles dogs birthday, I will be excited about it. This year however, I have been so swamped at work I didn't even get a real chance to plan mine. Luckily for me, this was no problem for The Foodbarn, even when I wanted a table for 18 pax.

We were given the upstairs area, where our rather large table was beautifully set. We were served just as quickly and efficiently as if we were just another four seater, and it wasn't even a problem when half way through another guest arrived and we quickly had to make space. Some how they even figured out where all the orders went, even though we were playing musical chairs. I must say, we didn't make it easy, but luckily our waitress was super woman!

Supergirl herself

My Friends and Family at our nice table
My Mommy and I

I hope you all know about the amazing specials that they are running at the moment, Steenberg Menu, which is what we all had. It's basically 3 courses, with 3 options for each course, with wine pairing for R185.00. Can you say bargain? Never mind that this is all coming from one of South Africa's greatest chefs kitchen. 

I'd love to be able to write about everything on the menu, but unfortunately I only know what I ate, and my oh my was it good.

My starter, my main and my dessert came in at a 3 way tie for the best dish.

My starter was a duck breast salad, with beetroot, sweet potato, hazelnuts and a completely out of this world sauce.

Duck Breast Salad with Beetroot, Hazelnuts and some other yummies

Seeing as I was the birthday girl, and certain folks don't drink wine, I had lots of extra glasses of yummy Steenberg flavoured liquid courage flowing my way. No complaints there! Thanks Sarah!!

My main course was grilled line fish with a charred corn and smoked tomato salsa, and if I remember correctly, a basil sauce. WOW am I glad the fish was recommended to me. It was so tasty and full of flavour. I'm pretty much drooling just thinking about it.

Line Fish Main Course


Unfortunately, I heard some of my friends saying the sirloin was a little tough, but luckily that wasn't my problem, mine was fantastic.


When our desserts came, I was sitting in a friends chair and all of a sudden everyone was oohing and aahing over a plate, it took me a while to realize what was going on.

My dessert had arrived with a special Foodbarn style birthday message...
Just for me
Never mind the beautiful personalized plate(which made me feel super special by the way) this dessert was amazing, and even though as was so full I would happily have scoffed another 10!

Rhubarb Compote,with Chantilly Cream, Meringue Disks and Fresh Strawberries. Do yourselves a favour, go there and beg them to feed you this! You will not regret it.

So basically I had a fantastic birthday, with the most amazing friends and family, at my favourite restaurant, with delicious food, yummy wine and awesome service!

Yes, I agree I am a lucky girl. What more could I possibly want?? 

Other than a fancy sports car, a private jet, my OWN pony(no, I haven't outgrown that yet), a rich husband, a very full bank account and a super skinny body of course! :)

Thanks Foodbarn for an evening I won't forget soon, and thanks again to all my friends and family for celebrating with me on my special day...

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22 ;)

2 comments:

  1. What a fun birthday it was... I think super skinny bodies are over-rated btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me rephrase then, a super fit sexy body :P

    ReplyDelete